Fun, Accelerated and
Effective Piano Classes
Wunder Academy serves the greater Houston area, providing professional piano pedagogy using iCap and Pianotopia.
Read articles of interest to the Director.
Sherry Liu obtained a bachelor's degree in Piano Performance from the University of Houston graduating cum laude. Upon receiving a scholarship to study in Europe, she completed her professional studies with an Art of Teaching Diploma and a Certificate of Distinction in Piano from the Royal Academy of Music in London (the Julliard School of Europe).
Ms. Liu is an accomplished pianist with an extensive and impressive teaching background that spans a number of countries. From 1997-1999, she served as staff teacher of piano at the Shepherd School of Music at Rice University, on the piano faculty of The Houston Conservatory of Music, and as the Treasurer for the Prague International Piano Master classes. From 1994-1995, she worked as a staff teacher at the Preparatory School of the Royal Academy of Music in London
During her reign as Miss Chinatown Houston, she performed in the Talent Competition of Miss Chinatown USA Scholarship Pageant in 1992, resulting in a standing ovation from thousands in the audience. Her performances in Europe included solo recitals in the United Kingdom at Oxford University, at Duke's Hall and at the Chamber Music Recital in Kensington. In Houston, she has performed in Dudley Recital Hall and in The Chinese Culture Center on numerous occasions. Ms. Liu visited the Paris Conservatory to work on her thesis, and in addition traveled to Europe to observe Master classes and concerts at the Almafi Coast Music Festival in Italy.
Ms. Liu is the recipient of a number of honors and awards as follows:
- Listed in the Cambridge Who's Who among Executive and Professional Women, 2007
- Qualified Adjudicator, American College of Musicians, 2005
- Hall of Fame, National Guild of Piano Teachers, 2003
- American College of Musicians Certification, National Guild of Piano Teachers, 2001
- Distinction in Piano Concerto Competition in London, U.K., 1995
- Distinction in Chamber Music Competition in London, U.K., 1995
- Fourth Prize in Miss Chinatown USA Scholarship Pageant, 1992
- Certificate of Merit, Chinese American Citizens Alliance, 1991
- Winner in Miss Chinatown Houston Scholarship Pageant, 1991
- Awarded the outstanding Asian American Ambassadors, a nation-wide organization that holds conventions and workshops to inspire young people to achieve their dreams, 2010
- Nominated for the "American Express Shine-a-Light", a program highlighting the accomplishments of small business owners, 2009
Ms. Liu is a well-known piano teacher in the community and has taught over 1000 students in Taiwan, London and Houston. She is certified by the Board of Royal School Examinations to teach all eight levels of piano playing, from kindergartners to professionals. A number of her students have won Founder, Bach, Sonatina, and Sonata Awards, as well as High School Diploma at the National Guild of Piano Auditions. Ms. Liu's students have also been accepted to music schools at Rice University, Oberlin College of Music and the University of North Texas in Denton.
Ms. Liu has been a member of a number of professional organizations including Music Teachers' National Association, Texas Music Teachers' Association, Houston Music Teachers' Association, and the National Guild of Piano Teachers.
Born in Taiwan, Ms. Liu began piano at the age of 4 from the influence of her older sisters. Her parents sacrificed to ensure that she would become a pianist. As the director and lead instructor of Wunder Academy, Ms. Liu is the pioneer in Texas for teaching iCap (Interactive Computer-Assisted Piano) and Pianotopia (an effective method designed for pre-school children). Wunder Academy is the proud piano instruction provider at several private schools and at HISD schools in the Houston area.
Ms. Liu's personal philosophy is that music has no boundaries; that it should be enjoyed by everyone regardless of age, background, culture, and present level of talent. As a result, she has enjoyed teaching beginning students, as much as consummate professional musicians. As society becomes more technological in all fields, she views the arts as the most important cornerstone of humanity and civilization in our lives.